Skip to main content

March

March Service Hours: 4 hours

Total Service Hours: 15 hours


Hey y'all! I can't tell if this month felt long or short but it was definitely full! March started off with a well-deserved break and MARDI GRAS!!! I'm happy that I got to experience all the fun and chaos of the Mardi Gras parades. It was truly an experience.  Not long after spring break, we took the NBME Customized Shelf exam, which was challenging but manageable. Now many of us are preparing for and taking the MCAT and working on what we need to apply for medical school this upcoming cycle. Now that the Shelf is done, we have more free time, so I'm planning to finish strong and prepare my med school apps for 2020. 

Unfortunately, I did not get to volunteer as much as I wanted to this month, but I did get to spend some time at KIPP. The kids are preparing to take LEAP (Louisana's Educational Assessment Program) exams and we were able to help a teacher re-arrange her classroom accordingly. We also were able to get a laptop cart organized and test ready. As small as the tasks may seem, we're always reassured that our help is appreciated and that it really does make a difference, and that makes the time we spend there even better! 

I can't believe it's almost over. We have 2 more exams for our cell control class and I have some presentations to do, and then it's all done. Time is really flying by and I'm even more motivated to keep pushing myself towards my dreams! 

Well bye, until next time!!! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April

April Service Hours: 10 hours Total Service Hours: 25 hours Cumulative Hours for both semesters: 50 hours    It's all done! I can't believe it, the school year is over and we've finished up exams and classes. It's been such an amazing experience and I am so fortunate to have had it with all of my amazing classmates. I've met great people, had new experiences, and learned so much about myself and pharmacology ☺️. I'm glad I was able to finish this semester strong. I survived 3 presentations and 2 exams since my last post. Now it's time to tackle the MCAT and get my application for this upcoming cycle together.     For my final month of service as a Tulane grad student, I volunteered with Grow Dat Youth Farm for their annual Hootenanny. It was fun helping them raise money for their program. I love their mission and commitment to sustainability, food justice, and cultivating youth leadership.    Lastly, I was able to finish the month out at...

January

Service Hours for January: 8 hours Total Service Hours for Spring Semester: 8 hours Hey Y'all! It's a new year and we're already 1 month in! I enjoyed our break but I am glad to be back in NOLA. There are still so many things I want to explore in the city! For class, we have already finished our Endocrine/Reproductive Module and are midway through our Neurology Module. This semester has been great so far and I'm planning to begin preparing for the MCAT and medical school applications next month alongside our coursework. This month for my community service, I volunteered with Second Harvest Food Bank for the New Orleans Saints 50/50 Raffle. The raffle is a fundraiser that the Saints host every game where half of the raised proceeds go to a chosen charity and the other half to one lucky winner. The charity for this game was the United Negro College Fund and we were able to sell about $190,000 worth of raffle tickets! I really enjoyed volunteering for the 50/50...

February

Service Hours for February: 3 hours Total Service Hours: 11 hours Wow, I can’t believe another month has zoomed by! February has been filled with so much! This month we completed exams for our Neurology and Psychiatry modules. At this point in the semester, we are preparing for our NMBE Shelf exam, and many of us are studying for the MCAT along with our remaining coursework. Although I'll be busy, I'm definitely looking forward to the upcoming months and finishing the semester strong!  This month I was not able to volunteer as much I intentionally planned, but I was able to spend time at KIPP Leadership Academy. During our time there, we were able to reorganize and clean two storage areas. It is always nice to be able to help with KIPP in any way I can. Next month, I hope I am able to spend more time in the community, hopefully with KIPP and Goldring's Center for Culinary Medicine.  We are now in the weekend of Mardi Gras and officially on our spring...